Visicol Kidney Failure
Visicol, a prescription oral sodium phosphate commonly used as a bowel cleanser prior to a colonoscopy, has been linked to a type of kidney failure known as acute phosphate nephropathy. Also referred to as acute nephrocacinosis, acute phosphate nephropathy occurs when calcium-phosphate crystals deposit in the renal tubules. In some cases, this type of Visicol kidney failure can lead to permanent kidney impairment and/or death.
To date the FDA has confirmed that at least 21 people have developed acute phosphate nephropathy after using oral sodium phosphates like Visicol. In December 2008, the FDA announced that a black box warning would be added to prescription oral sodium phosphates, such as Visicol and OsmoPrep, to notify consumers about the risk of kidney failure. At that time, the FDA also expressed concern about the safety of over-the-counter oral sodium phosphates when used in larger doses for colonoscopy prep and indicated that these products should only be available by prescription.
Visicol Kidney Failure Symptoms
In the beginning, kidney failure may not produce any symptoms.
- Oral Sodium Phosphates
- Acute Phosphate Nephropathy
- Visicol Black Box Warning & Kidney Injury Lawsuit
- Visicol Side Effects
- Visicol Lawsuit
- Visicol Lawyer
- Fleet Phospho Soda Side Effects
- Fleet Phospho Soda Lawsuit
- Fleet Phospho Soda Lawyer
- Fleet Phospho Soda & Kidney Failure
- Fleet Phospho Soda Recall
- Osmoprep Black Box Warning & Kidney Injury Lawsuit
- Do I Have an OSP Related Acute Phosphate Nephropathy Lawsuit?
Dangerous Product Alerts
Visicol Kidney Failure Risk Factors
According to the FDA, individuals with an increased risk of developing Visicol kidney failure include people who:
- are over age 55
- are hypovolemic or have decreased intravascular volume
- have baseline kidney disease, bowel obstruction, or active colitis
- are using medications that affect renal perfusion or function (such as diuretics, angiotensin converting enzyme [ACE] inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers [ARBs], and possibly nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs])
Visicol Kidney Failure Lawyer
If you or a loved one has developed Visicol kidney failure or other serious Visicol side effects, you may be entitled to file a Visicol lawsuit seeking compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
To learn more about your legal rights and options, contact our law firm today for a free and confidential case evaluation.