Zinc poisoning is caused by an excessive consumption of zinc, a natural element that is necessary in small amounts for a balanced diet.  Zinc poisoning can lead to other serious problems such as copper deficiency and severe neurological problems.  In some cases, zinc poisoning can be deadly.  Identifying and treating zinc poisoning immediately is thus very important.

Some symptoms of zinc poisoning include:

  • vomiting
  • stomach cramps
  • diarrhea
  • nausea
  • low blood pressure
  • jaundice
  • seizures
  • weakness
  • loss of sensation
  • tingling in the extremities
  • joint pain

Some over-the-counter products have been linked to zinc poisoning, including certain denture creams.  These denture creams include Fixodent and PoliGrip, and can lead to zinc poisoning and copper deficiency.  Many denture cream lawsuits have been filed relating to zinc poisoning.

Published November 17, 2011 by