Reglan Side Effects
Reglan, a drug used short-term to treat gastrointestinal disorders, has been linked to several serious side effects. Patients should stop using Reglan and call a doctor at once if they experience any of these serious
Reglan side effects:
- tremors, or restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck
- mask-like appearance of the face
- fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing
- depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself
- hallucinations, anxiety, agitation, jittery feeling, trouble staying still
- swelling, fluid retention
- jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes)
- seizure (convulsions)
Reglan Side Effects: Tardive Dyskinesia
Chronic use of Reglan has been linked to a drug-induced movement disorder known as tardive dyskinesia. Tardive means “delayed” and dyskinesia means abnormal movement.This disorder may cause the following side effects:
- involuntary, repetitive movements of the extremities
- lip smacking
- tongue protrusion
- rapid eye movements or blinking
- puckering and pursing of the lips
- impaired movement of the fingers
Dangerous Product Alerts
Unfortunately, these side effects are rarely reversible and there is no known treatment. However, in some patients, side effects may lessen or resolve after Reglan treatment is stopped. Those at greatest risk of experiencing these Reglan side effects include the elderly, especially older women, and people who have been taking Reglan for a long time.
Regal Side Effects FDA Warning
On February 26, 2009, the FDA announced that it was ordering the manufacturers of Reglan to add a black box warning to their drug labels about the risk of serious side effects with long-term or high-dose Reglan use. According to the FDA, “the chronic use of metoclopramide therapy should be avoided in all but rare cases where the benefit is believed to outweigh the risk.
Reglan Side Effects Lawyer
If you or a loved one has experienced serious Reglan side effects, such as tardive dyskinesia, you may be entitled to file a Reglan lawsuit seeking compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
Contact our law firm today for a free and confidential case evaluation by one of our experienced Reglan lawyers.