Elidel cream (generic name: pimecrolimus) is manufactured and marketed by Novartis to treat eczema. The Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) approved Elidel cream in December 2001. Elidel cream is directly applied to Eczema affected skin. Elidel cream, similar to Protopic ointment, is a popular eczema treatment drug with millions of prescriptions written in the United States. Unfortunately, Elidel cream use is linked to severe and even fatal side effects, including skin cancer and lymphoma.
What is Eczema?
Eczema, also known as dermatitis, is an allergic reaction that causes skin inflammation. Typically, eczema refers to atopic dermatitis, which means the person has a life-long tendency of developing this allergic reaction. Eczema is very common among children, affecting about 10 to 15% of children in the United States. Although Eczema’s exact cause is unknown, scientists found the allergic reaction antibody IgE present in patients with eczema. Eczema symptoms may improve over time but many times eczema symptoms are chronic and recurrent, including:
- Intense itching (especially at night)
- Red or brown colored patches
- Small raised bumps (which may leak fluid and crust over)
- Raw, sensitive skin (usually from scratching)
- Thickened, cracked, or scaly skin
How does Elidel Cream Treat Eczema?
Elidel cream contains pimecrolimus, which decreases skin inflammation. Elidel cream is a type of medication known as a skin-selective inflammatory cytokine inhibitor. Cytokines are produced by white blood cells and irritate the skin causing it to become red, swollen, and itchy. A pimecrolimus cream stops white blood cells from producing cytokines, thereby reducing skin inflammation.
Elidel Cream Uses
Elidel cream is applied directly on the affected area. The FDA approved Elidel cream to treat Eczema but doctors also prescribe Elidel cream to treat:
- Psoriasis: a chronic skin disease that accelerates skin cells life cycles, resulting in itchy, dry, and painful red patches
- Seborrhea Dermatitis: a common skin disorder that causes scaly, itchy, and red skin on the scalp (can also affect the face, upper chest, and back)
Elidel Cream Side Effects
Studies link Elidel cream use to severe and fatal cancers including skin cancer and lymphoma. Other rare but serious side effects include:
- Worsened skin symptoms
- Difficulty breathing
- Skin infections (redness, swelling, and itching)
- Swollen glands
- Flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, body aches)
If you have suffered a side effect from Elidel cream use, contact us today for a free case evaluation.