DePuy Hip Litigation Update: ASR Hip MDL Bellwether Trials On Horizon
On June 5, 2012, the Honorable David A. Katz held a status conference in In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. ASR Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (“MDL No. 2197”), which is currently underway in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. In December 2010, the DePuy ASR hip MDL was formed. Since that time, the DePuy hip litigation has swelled and now includes more than 4,000 cases.
Discovery Moving Forward Without Difficulty In DePuy ASR Hip MDL
During the June 5th status conference, counsel updated Judge Katz on the progression of the discovery phase. Specifically, items such as the production of documents, the status of depositions, coordination between the federal and state ASR lawsuits, and the scheduling of bellwether trials were addressed. To date:
- Document Production: 35 million pages of documents have been produced by defendants.
- Depositions: There have been 34 days of depositions. In addition, several more depositions have been scheduled.
- State and Federal Coordination: Efforts to coordinate the state and federal DePuy hip litigations have been successful. The focus has been on coordinating proceedings with state courts in California, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, Minnesota and Nevada given that a significant amount of cases have been filed in these states.
- State court trials have been scheduled. A trial date has been set for December in a case pending in Nevada. In addition, a case has been set for trial in January in Maryland as well as one in February in Illinois.
- Bellwether Trials In DePuy ASR hip MDL: The attorneys are actively working on selecting and scheduling bellwether trials for the federal DePuy hip litigation. The first bellwether trial in the DePuy ASR hip MDL is expected to take place in May 2013, and the second trial in July 2013. It is anticipated that the initial bellwether trials will take place in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
The next DePuy ASR hip MDL status conference is scheduled for July 25, 2012 at 11:30 a.m.
Contact A Hip Replacement Lawyer
If you or a loved one suffered hip replacement failure, you may be able to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and more. Contact a lawyer at Bernstein Liebhard LLP for a free and confidential case evaluation. Our lawyers have extensive litigation experience, and have recovered more than $3 billion dollars for their clients. In addition to being staunch advocates for your claim, our team of hip replacement lawyers will also provide you with the personal attention to guide you through the complex DePuy hip litigation process.