The nation’s first Actos lawsuit to go trial is moving forward in Los Angeles Superior Court.  According to Bloomberg.com, a clinical pharmacologist testifying as an expert for the Plaintiff said Tuesday  that internal emails indicate Takeda Pharmaceuticals put profits ahead of patient safety when it came to adding a bladder cancer warning to the label of the popular type 2 diabetes drug.  “There are multiple e-mails from different levels of Takeda management that indicate the product came first,” the witness said.

Takeda is facing some 3,000 lawsuits against Actos filed by Plaintiffs who allege the drug increases the risk for bladder cancer.   Actos bladder cancer lawsuits filed in both state and federal courts allege Takeda failed to provide adequate warnings to patients and doctors about its link to the disease.  The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) ordered Takeda to add new warnings to the Actos label in June 2011, after a study found that long-term use of the drug increased the risk for bladder cancer.

Actos Bladder Cancer Lawsuit Allegation

The Actos lawsuit at trial in Los Angeles was filed by a retired cable splicer who was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2011, after taking Actos for four years.  The emails addressed in testimony on Tuesday included one from 2005 in which Takeda officials discussed whether  regulators in the U.S. and Europe might seek warning labels about Actos’ association with bladder cancer.  “Actos is the most important product for Takeda and therefore we need to manage this issue very carefully and successfully not to cause any damage for this product globally,” a Takeda executive wrote.  The email characterized the mandating of such a warning as a “worst case scenario,” and urged the author’s colleagues to seek a “positive outcome” on the warning issue from “regulatory authorities.”

Bloomberg had previously reported that documents unsealed in the Actos bladder cancer lawsuit ahead of the trial show the company secretly surveyed a dozen doctors in 2003 to see if they would use a diabetes drug with their patients that carried a warning about the potential for bladder cancer. Attorneys for the Plaintiff assert the survey found that “a bladder cancer warning would destroy the sales of Takeda’s most important drug.”

Actos Lawsuits Continue to Mount

Actos was once the best-selling diabetes drug in the world, and legal experts believe bladder cancer lawsuits against Actos could eventually exceed 10,000.  In addition to cases filed in state courts in California and elsewhere, some 1,200 Actos lawsuits are pending in a federal multidistrict litigation underway in U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana.  According to a Scheduling Order issued by the Court on February 19th, a Pilot Bellwether Program has been established, which sets up a stream-lined selection process for a minimum of two Pilot Bellwether trials. The Order stipulates that the litigation’s first Pilot Bellwether trial will begin on January 27, 2014, while the second will commence on April 14, 2014.

Though it remains available in the U.S., Actos has been pulled from the market in Germany and France because of its association with bladder cancer.  Just last month, a study published in the British Diabetic Association journal, “Diabetic Medicine,” found that the risk of bladder cancer was significantly higher in patients using Actos compared with control groups.

Considering an Actos Lawsuit?  Contact an Attorney Today.

If you were diagnosed with bladder cancer while taking Actos, you may be entitled to file an Actos bladder cancer lawsuit seeking compensation for your pain and suffering.  Contact a lawyer at Bernstein Liebhard LLP by calling (877) 779-1414 for more information.

The nation’s first Actos lawsuit to go trial is moving forward in Los Angeles Superior Court.  According to Bloomberg.com, a clinical pharmacologist testifying as an expert for the Plaintiff said Tuesday  that internal emails indicate Takeda Pharmaceuticals put profits ahead of patient safety when it came to adding a bladder cancer warning to the label of the popular type 2 diabetes drug.  “There are multiple e-mails from different levels of Takeda management that indicate the product came first,” the witness said.

Takeda is facing some 3,000 lawsuits against Actos filed by Plaintiffs who allege the drug increases the risk for bladder cancer.   Actos bladder cancer lawsuits filed in both state and federal courts allege Takeda failed to provide adequate warnings to patients and doctors about its link to the disease.  The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) ordered Takeda to add new warnings to the Actos label in June 2011, after a study found that long-term use of the drug increased the risk for bladder cancer.

Actos Bladder Cancer Lawsuit Allegation

The Actos lawsuit at trial in Los Angeles was filed by a retired cable splicer who was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2011, after taking Actos for four years.  The emails addressed in testimony on Tuesday included one from 2005 in which Takeda officials discussed whether  regulators in the U.S. and Europe might seek warning labels about Actos’ association with bladder cancer.  “Actos is the most important product for Takeda and therefore we need to manage this issue very carefully and successfully not to cause any damage for this product globally,” a Takeda executive wrote.  The email characterized the mandating of such a warning as a “worst case scenario,” and urged the author’s colleagues to seek a “positive outcome” on the warning issue from “regulatory authorities.”

Bloomberg had previously reported that documents unsealed in the Actos bladder cancer lawsuit ahead of the trial show the company secretly surveyed a dozen doctors in 2003 to see if they would use a diabetes drug with their patients that carried a warning about the potential for bladder cancer. Attorneys for the Plaintiff assert the survey found that “a bladder cancer warning would destroy the sales of Takeda’s most important drug.”

Actos Lawsuits Continue to Mount

Actos was once the best-selling diabetes drug in the world, and legal experts believe bladder cancer lawsuits against Actos could eventually exceed 10,000.  In addition to cases filed in state courts in California and elsewhere, some 1,200 Actos lawsuits are pending in a federal multidistrict litigation underway in U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana.  According to a Scheduling Order issued by the Court on February 19th, a Pilot Bellwether Program has been established, which sets up a stream-lined selection process for a minimum of two Pilot Bellwether trials. The Order stipulates that the litigation’s first Pilot Bellwether trial will begin on January 27, 2014, while the second will commence on April 14, 2014.

Though it remains available in the U.S., Actos has been pulled from the market in Germany and France because of its association with bladder cancer.  Just last month, a study published in the British Diabetic Association journal, “Diabetic Medicine,” found that the risk of bladder cancer was significantly higher in patients using Actos compared with control groups.

Considering an Actos Lawsuit?  Contact an Attorney Today.

If you were diagnosed with bladder cancer while taking Actos, you may be entitled to file an Actos bladder cancer lawsuit seeking compensation for your pain and suffering.  Contact a lawyer at Bernstein Liebhard LLP by calling (877) 779-1414 for more information.

Published March 6, 2013 by