Recipients Injured By Metal-On-Metal Hips Speak Out Against Dangers of MoM Hips
Bernstein Liebhard LLP, a New York law firm nationally recognized for its consumer protection and mass tort practices, reports that patients injured by metal hip replacements spoke out against the devices during the open public portion of the advisory committee meeting held by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) on metal-on-metal hip problems, which convened on June 27-28, 2012. Testimonial highlights include:
- Dr. Diane Zuckerman, president of the National Research Center for Women & Families commented: “Keeping these implants on the market for the next 5 years while research is being done is not an ethical decision…I believe a tragic mistake was made by allowing these products on the market without good data.”
- Ann Morrison, who received a DePuy metal-on-metal hip replacement and experienced bilateral hip implant failure, commented: “My recommendation is for the immediate withdrawal of all present hip metal-on-metal weight bearing systems from the market until further studies identify acceptable biohazard risks.” Ms. Morrison also called for immediate, mandatory follow-up for all existing metal-on-metal hip patients.
- Sherry Winslow, a ship captain, who received a J&J DePuy Pinnacle hip implant and is scheduled to undergo revision surgery, commented: “I seriously hope that you will not let any more people get these metal-on-metal hips. Take them off the market; let the people know that there is a serious problem.”*
Bernstein Liebhard LLP hopes that the testimonials from patients suffering complications from metal hip problems will impact the FDA’s ultimate decision regarding the future of metal hip replacements.
Other presenters at the advisory committee hearing included medical professionals, scientists and representatives from hip manufacturers, consumer advocacy groups and regulatory agencies. Panel members evaluated testimony and materials concerning:
- Failure rates of metal-on-metal hip implants;
- Methodologies for measuring metal ion levels;
- Patient follow-up protocols; and
- Guidelines issued by foreign regulatory bodies.
Based on the information obtained at the hearings, the advisory committee will make a recommendation to the FDA.
Metal-On-Metal Hip Problems Lead To Mounting Litigation
Individuals who suffered from metal-on-metal hip problems are filing lawsuits against the manufacturers of these products. The lawyers at Bernstein Liebhard LLP are actively involved in the following MoM lawsuits: In re:ePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. ASR Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (“MDL No. 2197”), which is currently underway in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (“MDL No. 2244”), which is currently underway in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. The firm is also investigating cases concerning another metal hip implant manufactured by Wright Medical Technology, Inc. Lawsuits involving this hip replacement were recently consolidated in In re: Wright Medical Technology, Inc., Conserve Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (“MDL No. 2329”), which is now pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
Those who have experienced metal-on-metal hip implant side effects may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and other injuries. Learn more about filing a hip replacement lawsuit by visiting our website, www.consumerinjurylawyers.com, or by watching this metal hip replacement video.
About Bernstein Liebhard LLP
Bernstein Liebhard LLP is a New York-based law firm exclusively representing injured persons in complex individual and class action lawsuits nationwide since 1993, including those who have been harmed by dangerous drugs, defective medical devices and consumer products. The firm has been named by The National Law Journal to the “Plaintiffs’ Hot List,” recognizing the top plaintiffs’ firms in the country, for the past nine consecutive years. Only two firms in the country have been selected for the Hot List nine years in a row.
Bernstein Liebhard LLP 10 East 40th Street New York, New York 10016 (877) 779-1414
ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. © 2012 Bernstein Liebhard LLP. The law firm responsible for this advertisement is Bernstein Liebhard LLP, 10 East 40th Street, New York, New York 10016, (212) 779-1414. The lawyer responsible for this advertisement in the State of Connecticut is Amy L. Abate. Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter.
Contact Information: Felecia L. Stern, Esq. Bernstein Liebhard LLP email@example.com www.consumerinjurylawyers.com